Hello everyone! I’m finally putting out a new booktalk! So I don’t know if I have ever mentioned this, but I am a huge fan of Rick Riordan’s books, and especially of the Percy Jackson books. So I was pretty darn excited to learn there was going to be another spin off series! I finished “The Hidden Oracle” a few weeks ago, and even though finals season seriously delayed this post, I figured I’d finally share some of my thoughts on the book!
WARNING! SPOILERS FOR “THE HIDDEN ORACLE” AND THE “PERCY JACKSON” AND “HEROES OF OLYMPUS” SERIES BEYOND THIS POINT!!!
- First off, can we just talk about how cool it is that we have a canonically bisexual protagonist in a book geared to ten year olds? This book had so much representation and it was amazing!
- Also, there are no words for how excited I am about Will and Nico being canon! I have been shipping them since “The Blood of Olympus” and I literally fangirled all over my apartment when we found out they were boyfriends. Like can we just have a whole series about these two and there adorable relationship? Or at least a novella? I would read the heck out of anything about this pairing
- So any content we get with Percy Jackson is wonderfully amazing, but I especially love his part in this one. It’s kind of cool that he’s not a major character (so we can finally let this poor child rest), but he’s definitely present through the book. Also there was that one really great line about how he thought he had killed everything in Greek mythology, and I feel like that summed up the series pretty well.
- And we finally got to catch up with Sally Jackson! She is honestly one of the best parents I have read in a YA series, and it was so great to finally see her after like five books. And she’s going to have a baby! Percy’s going to be an older brother! I am screaming in happiness!
- Also Annabeth is off in Boston on family business. Lol I see what you did there Rick Roridan.
- I definitely enjoyed Apollo’s POV as the main character. I’ve only ever read one or two books from the POV of a god before, and this one was definitely very unique! There was just this really dramatic voice through the whole book, but you could really see him develop as a character, and it was all super well done!
- Also the haiku chapter titles were among the greatest things I’ve ever seen. Just saying.
- I hope we get to learn more about Meg in the next one. She was an interesting character (I don’t think we’ve had a major character child of Demeter yet), and I feel like there was a lot more we could get into with her backstory, which seems really sad.
- Speaking of which, I was so frustrated that she went with Nero in the end! Like I get that he was emotionally manipulating her for a really long time but now I’m really worried about what’s going to happen with her. I can just tell that she deserves so much better and I really don’t want to wait until the next book to see what happens!
- On another note everyone lining up to punch Leo towards the end was honestly the most hilarious thing.
- So we seem to be headed in the general direction of Camp Jupiter now, so I guess we’ll be catching up with everyone else in the next book.
- So overall this was definitely a book I enjoyed! The writing and characters were all really well written, the story was super fun, and I need the next book as soon as possible!
- Well that’s about it for this book talk! See you next time and thanks for reading!